We moved to: http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm
http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alfredo Sauce (Low Carb)

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    We moved to: http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm Forum Index -> Cooking and Baking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
inkydinkydoo
Famous, Really really famous


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1189
Location: Southern Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Alfredo Sauce (Low Carb) Reply with quote

And, from another online friend, who says this is better than Olive Garden's . . . fettucine Alfredo sauce. You can serve it over Dreamfield's low carb pasta or over chicken. Either way, it's wonderful.

Alfredo Sauce (Low Carb)

1/2 c. real butter
2 c. heavy cream
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. coarsely ground pepper
1/4 c. shredded parmesan

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add cream, garlic powder, and pepper and bring to a boil. Boil rapidly, stirring continuously, until sauce reaches desired thickness (it will thicken up a little bit more once it cools down). Reduce heat to medium and stir in cheese. Pour over pasta/chicken.

A few words of advice if you've never made Alfredo sauce before . . .

• Boil the heck out of this stuff. There's no flour or tomato paste in this recipe (some recipes add a little tomato paste at the end to thicken the sauce and add a pleasing pink color), so a lot of liquid has to be boiled off for it to have a good consistency. Since it's cream boiling, and cream tends to incorporate a lot of air when boiling and thus it stays right up at the level of the top of the pan, I usually take it off the burner about once per minute, let the sauce "settle," and check the thickness.

• I usually use way more Parmesan than is called for. It just tastes better that way. A good substitute is some of that combo Parmesan / Romano / Asiago cheese blends you can buy pre-shredded. Yum!

• Don't dump in all the Parmesan at once, or you'll get clumps of cheese in the sauce. Sprinkle it in, stirring rapidly all the while.

• This is looking and sounding waaaaaaaaay more complicated than it actually is. Throw the chicken breasts on the George Foreman Grill, start the pasta cooking, do the sauce, and you can have your meal ready in 15 minutes. It's awesome, and it's a super timesaver on busy nights!
_________________
"Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." ~ Baseball Hall-of-Famer Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lori
Famous, and Good-Looking Too


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3372
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmmm yummy and it's low cal too, right? Wink Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
inkydinkydoo
Famous, Really really famous


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1189
Location: Southern Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm. Yeah. Right! Laughing
_________________
"Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." ~ Baseball Hall-of-Famer Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frances
Famous, and Good-Looking Too


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5054
Location: Inside my head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfredo sauce of any kind and reflux....BAD MIX! At least for me. Sad
_________________
"It isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you; but, well, there haven't been any quiet moments! Bringing Up Baby-Cary Grant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sydney2
Unrepentant FAMEWHORE


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 554
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
Alfredo sauce of any kind and reflux....BAD MIX! At least for me. Sad


Frances I have reflux as well. Have you tried Nexium (sp?) it is my life saver Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frances
Famous, and Good-Looking Too


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5054
Location: Inside my head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney2 wrote:
Frances wrote:
Alfredo sauce of any kind and reflux....BAD MIX! At least for me. Sad


Frances I have reflux as well. Have you tried Nexium (sp?) it is my life saver Very Happy


I take protonix but it doesn't work as well as I would like. I'd have to eat the Alfredo sauce at 11am and go to bed sitting up at midnight to not feel the acid. Shocked
_________________
"It isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you; but, well, there haven't been any quiet moments! Bringing Up Baby-Cary Grant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sydney2
Unrepentant FAMEWHORE


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 554
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
Sydney2 wrote:
Frances wrote:
Alfredo sauce of any kind and reflux....BAD MIX! At least for me. Sad


Frances I have reflux as well. Have you tried Nexium (sp?) it is my life saver Very Happy


I take protonix but it doesn't work as well as I would like. I'd have to eat the Alfredo sauce at 11am and go to bed sitting up at midnight to not feel the acid. Shocked


Oh gosh ask your doctor, if its appropriate for you of couse about Nexium or Losec (I have taken this as well with good results) The thing that makes my stomach go nuts is anything with skin on it, like apple skin etc so I peel every thing. Lettuce is also a culprit. Milk I am pretty good with. I so know where you are coming from with the reflux, before mine was under control it was horrible Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frances
Famous, and Good-Looking Too


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5054
Location: Inside my head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney2 wrote:


Oh gosh ask your doctor, if its appropriate for you of couse about Nexium or Losec (I have taken this as well with good results) The thing that makes my stomach go nuts is anything with skin on it, like apple skin etc so I peel every thing. Lettuce is also a culprit. Milk I am pretty good with. I so know where you are coming from with the reflux, before mine was under control it was horrible Crying or Very sad


(((((((Frannie and Sydney))))))))) We are the acid queens. Razz
_________________
"It isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you; but, well, there haven't been any quiet moments! Bringing Up Baby-Cary Grant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sydney2
Unrepentant FAMEWHORE


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 554
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
Sydney2 wrote:


Oh gosh ask your doctor, if its appropriate for you of couse about Nexium or Losec (I have taken this as well with good results) The thing that makes my stomach go nuts is anything with skin on it, like apple skin etc so I peel every thing. Lettuce is also a culprit. Milk I am pretty good with. I so know where you are coming from with the reflux, before mine was under control it was horrible Crying or Very sad


(((((((Frannie and Sydney))))))))) We are the acid queens. Razz


Yup I think we are ((((((hugs back))))) It is horrible, its nice to know I am not the only one Very Happy p.s I think they should put this stuff in the water, My mom and sister also take it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frances
Famous, and Good-Looking Too


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 5054
Location: Inside my head

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney2 wrote:

Yup I think we are ((((((hugs back))))) It is horrible, its nice to know I am not the only one Very Happy p.s I think they should put this stuff in the water, My mom and sister also take it.


I really believe it is hereditary. My father and brother have it worse than I do. Both my sisters suffer from reflux occasionally but not enough to be on medication like my brother, father and myself.
_________________
"It isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you; but, well, there haven't been any quiet moments! Bringing Up Baby-Cary Grant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    We moved to: http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm Forum Index -> Cooking and Baking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


© 2007-2008 Informe.com. Get Free Forum Hosting
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group