We moved to: http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm
http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sweet Potatoes/Yams

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    We moved to: http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm Forum Index -> Cooking and Baking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sydney2
Unrepentant FAMEWHORE


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 554
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Sweet Potatoes/Yams Reply with quote

Whatever they are called. I bought some today to cook for dinner tonight and need some suggestions. I am looking to try something different to do with them. Anyone got a good roasting recipe for these?

Thanks for the help Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JWChitown
Moderator


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2609
Location: Chicagoland - Go Olympics 2016!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until the skins can be removed and potatoes are mostly cooked but still firm. Slice potatoes and place them into a "buttered" baking dish with slightly more butter (if desired). Sprinkle with brown sugar. Toss in a few minature marshmellows. Drizzle all with a little molasses syrup and place in oven and bake until marshmellows melt.
(Sometimes I also flavor with a little Grand Marnier for extra zip.)

Not exactly a low calorie side dish, but everyone loves it.
_________________
..............
You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sydney2
Unrepentant FAMEWHORE


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 554
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWChitown wrote:
Put potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until the skins can be removed and potatoes are mostly cooked but still firm. Slice potatoes and place them into a "buttered" baking dish with slightly more butter (if desired). Sprinkle with brown sugar. Toss in a few minature marshmellows. Drizzle all with a little molasses syrup and place in oven and bake until marshmellows melt.
(Sometimes I also flavor with a little Grand Marnier for extra zip.)

Not exactly a low calorie side dish, but everyone loves it.


Oh JW that sounds great!! I will give it a try. So I don't peel the potatoes before boiling? and do I cut them or boil them whole? Now I am getting excited Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JWChitown
Moderator


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2609
Location: Chicagoland - Go Olympics 2016!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney2 wrote:
JWChitown wrote:
Put potatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until the skins can be removed and potatoes are mostly cooked but still firm. Slice potatoes and place them into a "buttered" baking dish with slightly more butter (if desired). Sprinkle with brown sugar. Toss in a few minature marshmellows. Drizzle all with a little molasses syrup and place in oven and bake until marshmellows melt.
(Sometimes I also flavor with a little Grand Marnier for extra zip.)

Not exactly a low calorie side dish, but everyone loves it.


Oh JW that sounds great!! I will give it a try. So I don't peel the potatoes before boiling? and do I cut them or boil them whole? Now I am getting excited Very Happy


Boil them whole. They need to be mostly cooked but not all the way or they will get too soggy. After boiling, run them under cold water and peel off the skins. Then slice them into your baking dish. (You can play "hot potato" cause they are not easy to cut while hot.) Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
..............
You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NancyB
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 4909

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are sweet potatoes ( orange ) for me, nothing can beat baking them in the oven. Rinse them off, throw them in the over at about 350 ( put them on a pan because they might pop and the sugar will run down.)

get the skins all crispy - test with a fork

serve with butter and brown sugar
_________________
AABB
Since Feb. 2007
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sydney2
Unrepentant FAMEWHORE


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 554
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NancyB wrote:
If they are sweet potatoes ( orange ) for me, nothing can beat baking them in the oven. Rinse them off, throw them in the over at about 350 ( put them on a pan because they might pop and the sugar will run down.)

get the skins all crispy - test with a fork

serve with butter and brown sugar


Yup they are orange. This sounds yummy as well. I will suggest both to my husband and see what he feels like, I could eat them either way Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sydney2
Unrepentant FAMEWHORE


Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 554
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a bit of both!! I had two large potatoes so I did one roasted and one baked and tried a bit of each they were both yummy!! Thanks guys!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    We moved to: http://allaboutbigbrother.forumotion.com/index.htm Forum Index -> Cooking and Baking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


© 2007-2008 Informe.com. Get Free Forum Hosting
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group